Monday, September 20, 2010

Quick Update on SwiftKey vs. Swype

Still waffling between SwiftKey and Swype.  Use one for a week, use the other for a week...

Still no winner.

Swype drives me nuts with constantly thinking that "to" should be "too" and "want" should be "wasn't".  I wish I could change it's 'preferred' word in these cases.

Swiftkey is still driving my nuts with it's hit 'n miss prediction engine and annoying habit of 100% changing a correctly typed word into one it likes better.  I could disable all that, but then it would slow me down, which sort of defeats the purpose.  And the amount of backspacing and deleting doubled words that Swiftkey spits out is still driving me crazy.

So far I still find that I'm more accurate and faster with Swype than Swiftkey, but mainly due to the fact that I am still playing 'the game' with SwiftKey.  (Press a letter, did you guess it yet?, press another letter...did you guess it yet?  It just slows things down...the fluid motion of Swype still works better with words of any length, while SwiftKey often wins on those short words where it can often correctly predict it.)

If I had to guess, I'd say SwiftKey will appeal mainly to people with limited vocabularies who jot out simple text messages and emails using short little words and frequently used phrases.  People with richer vocabularies are going to be slowed down by SwiftKey.

I think SwiftKey could do some things to address this, but I haven't seen any evidence that they have anything in the works to do it.  I could tell them how, of course, but I doubt they'd listen to lil' ole me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment